When Balls Go Bad - Development

Carrying on my development of the when balls go bad project. I began to design the tree's in my animation and also the way in which the colour bled from the orange.

My trees were influenced by Dr. Seuss's truffula trees.


and my decision to make the orange puddles appear more like paint splatters than just orange puddles comes from Sega's The Unfinished Swan.


Where the whole environment is revealed through paint splatters. I liked this concept and enjoy the idea of my vision slowly being revealed as the ball bounces through the scene.

In addition to using these ideas as references I also looked at this:


(Please not that since I used this as a reference [accessed 16/10/13] the video has been edited so it no longer shows the segment of the video I considered, apologies.) 

The latter part of this video, mime for a change, involves bubbles colouring in the town after all the colour is removed from it. This is another idea that influenced my decision making regarding the aesthetics of my animation. I decided that that crude a colouring method wasn't something I would strive for but rather strive for a more coherent seeping of colour.

I have decided to hand draw the background and motion of the ball then I will input it into Photoshop or after effects to add the layers of colour. I thought this would be symbolic of two aspects of modernism which I could then include in my defence of my project. The hand drawn part speaks of the truth to materials that modernist found valuable in there work as a hand drawn animation you can see exactly what was done, nothing's hidden. Then the digital application of the colour relates to modernist use of technology. As it allows me to play around with the speed at which I allow the colour to seep and also the vibrancy of the colour itself.

Lastly to aid in the construction of this animation (and because my brain is an organisational mess and needs all the help it can get) I created myself a little time table/ check list to follow through the completion of the project:


I separated the project out into movements, backgrounds and colour development, then proceeded to layer them over each other so I knew exactly what stage which part happens at. This way I should be able to track my progress and keep a close eye on my time across the remaining two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment