EDG&R

I'm sure you've probably heard me rattle on and on about this society before but I am a member of the Edinburgh University Goth and Rock Society. We're first and for most a music appreciation society. And because of that we hold a lot of gigs during term time, which provides a lot of opportunities for promotional posters and fliers. For as long as I can remember my friend Kirsty from illustration had made them but she kind of stopped going to the society but I still went pretty frequently and everyone knew me and things. That's why I was asked to do them close to the end of this academic year. 

The first one I was asked to do because kirsty had stopped doing them and they needed a gig poster pretty fast. They are my friends so when they asked about it I said yes and they were really easy to work with. Mostly, Nico had a lot of nit picky, tiny things he wanted me to change but instead of saying them all at once I was asked for one revision at a time which was fairly irritating because on this particular day I was trying to get to work but eventually it was all correct and he was happy with it. Even if he did opt for cheep printing and they printed like crap and I was sad about it.


This was the first version I sent them. I had originally planned for the symbols to sit along the strip underneath the big main design but they were too small like that so I made them bigger so you could at least see them. I guess in my mind that was a huge improvement but to the outside viewer the logos were still indecipherable and Nico asked for them bigger. 


That initial shift around caused absolute chaos for me! For ages I didn't think everything was going to fit and that I was going to have to tell him that was it. But eventually somehow I managed to get everything on like this and nothing was too small or creating too many plank spaces or anything. So I sent it back to Nico. Who then at that point chose to mention that it should also say where the gig was going to be so you know people could turn up... Thanks Nico


This was the next revision. This time complete with location of the gig. He also had me make the spider bigger because it was harder to see the symbol but to be honest I was going to do that anyway because it just wasn't looking right before this point. Then I really thought he would be happy. Couldn't possibly think what he would complain about. But you know non creatives he found something. He said to me the arrow is obstructing the headless kross logo. -.- like really? it's not that annoying... but also not too big a deal to change so I changed it.



THEN EVENTUALLY WE ARRIVED AT THE FINAL POSTER WHICH WAS PUT UP AROUND PLACES!! YEY!!

That was the first poster they had ever asked me to make. I am now officially the designer for this society. As well as the president for this upcoming academic year. Yey! So lots of responsibilities there. But my presidency officially started around two weeks ago so I am now official in these positions and working as such. We've already scheduled our first gig for the year on the 18th of May so president me handed designer me a designing task to do. It's quite efficient really. So this poster was for a Sweedish band called "sanctrum". Job one when making a poster is to get a hold of PNG transparent copies of the logos. This is not something my secretary, treasurer or fanzine editor understand. So job one is really edit out the background of cropped images of screenshots of logos. Thanks guys. But once I've got that I can begin designing. I learnt from last time around that it's easier to start with the logos and then fill the design into the spaces rather than the other way around. It definitely works because I had no complaints about this poster. They didn't want to change anything about it. And they said I could work in colour. I had to ask because I'm not in charge of our budget, Ross is.




No comments:

Post a Comment